So yer bitcin bout that friggin Sportster again, read it

chrissenator

So yer bitcin bout that friggin Sportster again, read it

Post by chrissenator »

Quoted from XLF
Originally Posted by Gone
I read this some where but here is the quote

Girl's Bike ??

Something I'll never understand is why some Harley riders discriminate against other riders especially in light of the way society has stereotyped the Harley community and discriminated against it over the years. You've heard the disparaging comments like "Half a Harley" or "Girl's Bike" along with many others levied against the Sportster bysome in the Big Twin crowd. If so. How come it's faster than the BigTwin is? How come it's been the Factory racer in differing events for forty years now? What about the Buell, Harley's answer to Japanesesuper bikes, being based on the Sportster It has always had superior technology and Been more nimble than its brother, the Big Twin. Back in the Sixties, The Sporty led the charge when an Englishike-dominated sport converted first to the "Milwaukee Limey." Speaking of the old days, when watching early biker movies, you see the "real deal" riding their beloved "CH's" that today have become living legends? Nobody I know laughs at or puts down these guys. Yes, the "CH" is short for the brutal, knee-busting, kick start Sportster. Don't look like no half-Harley to me even though that's what some call it. Please take this last statement from where it's coming from…not me. But it's a comment I hear time and again from those in Harleydom who wish to pick on their own instead of fighting those who attack from the outside. Yeah, so they call it a Girl's bike in a derisive manner. This connotes frailty that inhibits them from handling "a man's bike." Well if you think about it, a smaller, physically weaker person would be better suited to a Softail with a lower seat height, a lower center of gravity and a set of front forks that pivot more easily on a smaller contact patch, skinny 21" wheel. That's if you think. Sportsters feel as if they have a higher center of gravity, making them seemingly more awkward to the uninitiated and you need long legs to touch the ground They'll pop a wheelie without even thinking about it. And light to light, try to beat one, with a "bigger" Harley, like a Softail for instance. A customer of mine is a seemingly mild mannered pharmacist. He wins about $500 bucks a month racing Big Twins on his 883 converted to a 1200. He hasn't even reached for the big gun yet….the 1200S with a hundred ponies at the rear wheel. I guess everybody's mad at me by now, but it needs to be said. So why on earth does Harley make this bike, its entry-level model? It's harder to learn on and it's the prototype for its factory racers-in order to prove it has a superior product in terms of speed. I don't understand it. As what should be isn't, and what isn't should be. I know, I know. The real reason the Sportster is the entry-level bike is that it's cheaper than the Big Twin models. Just wait until feminism gets a firmer grip in the last bastion of chauvinism, Harleydom and deals with "the Girl's Bike syndrome" and its connotations of weakness. It'll be fun to watch for those who love a good winnable fight. Now how about the men who ride and must put up with this reverse discrimination? Maybe feminism will wipe the slate clean. Or maybe, those who are free thinkers and strong of mind already know that the Girl's Bike has dominated Flat Track racing…you know, where you go full speed around corners with no brakes….and hill climbing…a brutal sport for the brave where Sportsters go up hills not suited for motorcycles. Now, how about the wheelie kings. You know, in a man's world, anyone who can do the block long wheelie, shifting gears as they pose dangerously on one wheel, scraping the rear fender on the asphalt, shooting up sparks as they roar by, are more Often than not on the Sportster. Motor builders have long recognized the superior technology used by Harley in the Sportster, some examples of which are: a. Pushrods that go straight up and down instead of wild angles like in the Big Twin; or b. Did you ever wonder where the three-hole crankpin you buy aftermarket to replace the single oiling hole factory one in your Big Twin came from? You got it, standard factory issue since the beginning in the Sportster; or c. The trochoid (rotor) oil pump, standard issue since 1977 on the Sportster, produces both high pressure and high volume while the lowly Big Twin still has a gear-driven pump that only produces moderate pressure and volume. Straighter pushrods along with the 3 hole oiling crankpin and the trochoid oil pump have all been adapted into the new Fathead Twin Cam 88's. Here's another one. What other Harley, or motorcycle for that matter, has crippled more people than the legendary Sportster kickstart? If rebounding compression isn't dislocating the knee or throwing the rider over the handlebars then the slip-through kick start gears extend the leg past where its supposed to go….snapping the kneecap. "Sportster knee", the tell tale limp, familiar with riders of the era is a badge of honor. The electric start has saved a whole generation from this mind numbing pain. Even the mass media glorified the Sportster a long time before it recognized the "old man's" bike, the Big Twin.Oops, I have to watch the reverse discrimination. Then Came Bronson" was the first and only TV Harley hero who traversed America, meeting every challenge society could throw at him on his Sportster XLCH. In the late seventies and early eighties, some bank robber gangs even used the Sportster as a get away vehicle…faster than the Big Twin police bikes and more nimble through traffic. Last but not least…..Evil Knieval. I never saw him riding a Big Twin. He is a Sportster man….all the way to the hospital and right back on them again The much maligned Sportster doesn't look like a bike for the frail or weak of mind to me.
To Sportstere er dobbelt så gøy
tutte

Re: So yer bitcin bout that friggin Sportster again, read it

Post by tutte »

Det er forskjell på å kjøre en BMW M3 og en Cadillac Eldorado Brougham.
Hvis du måler akselrasjon og toppfart vinner M3 tvert men hvis det gjelder komfort til å kjøre lenge uten å bli sliten vinner Cadillacen overlegent.
Har hatt et par KTM offroadere,Honda,Suzuki og et par Yamahaer og en Raufoss moped. Hver til sitt bruk, og den bussen jeg har nå med justerbar luftfjæring både foran og bak med plass til Fruen og meg pluss bagasje er det jeg begjærer. Den hopper og lander elegant når jeg tar fartsdumpene i 70-80 km/t med bagasje (ikke med Fruen på!!). Før jeg bestemte meg for Electra Glide kom jeg rett fra en Goldwing med Boxer 6er men likte den overhodet ikke. Den sykkelen som kunne måle seg var tro det eller ei BMW R 1200 GS, men den er jo så stygg at jeg måtte ha brukt Helhjelm med sota/speil visir for ikke å bli gjennkjent. :oops:
Har aldri sett ned på de som har Sportster så etter min oppfatning må det være et mindreverdighetskompleks som gjør seg gjeldende hos de som kjører "moped"- :roll:
Kommer akkurat hjem etter en tur på over 60 mil idag, kan gjøre det samme i morgen :D :lol:
Før Kapp.JPG
Ved Espa.jpg
Man skal ikke plage andre
man skal være grei og snill
og forøvrig kan man gjøre som man vil.
chrissenator

Re: So yer bitcin bout that friggin Sportster again, read it

Post by chrissenator »

Luftfjæring er helt suverent, har det foran og bak jeg også :D
To Sportstere er dobbelt så gøy

Return to “Sportster”